Sunday, April 2

Digital detox is sorely needed

It's time for me to do some digital detox again. It's sorely needed, I'm afraid. In the last few weeks, I've spent far too much time on the Internet. I've been reading a lot of blogs, keeping myself up to date with the news too many times a day, searching for information about this and that, researching for bargains, watching many episodes of a tv-series, etc.

Thus, time spent being online has to be limited. The hours spent on the Internet has started to affect my sleep. In the last few days, I've gone to sleep too late and consequently has slept too little. Besides sleeping badly, the Internet distracts me from other things I could be doing instead. For example, I could be exercising more and reading books.

What to do then? In the past when I've done this, I've set a time at night when Internet is to be turned off, and I've abstained from Internet for one whole day now and then.

I'm thinking a similar approach might work this time too. The amount of time spent each day, should probably be limited aswell.

Starting tomorrow, I won't use the Internet at all in the mornings. This will give me a chance to have breakfast without distractions, so that I can prepare myself for the tasks ahead. Taking the time to calmly plan my day, will make me less stressed out  - I know this from experience. Furthermore,  I'll check my e-mails less frequently, read fewer blogs, read newspapers less often and search for information only if I really, really need to.

In the evenings, Internet will be turned off at nine o'clock at the latest. Next Sunday, I won't use the Internet at all.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment